Tuesday, June 2, 2009

JET Programme

I've definitely been thinking about the JET Programme a lot lately. I'll be graduating from college early, and I believe it's time to start thinking about this right now. I've decided that Tokyo would be awesome, since I've always been a city person. I'm sure practically every JET participant would want to go there too, or Kyoto or Osaka...so I've been researching cities and suburbs near Tokyo. I came across historic Kamakura, 31 miles South West from Tokyo, where the statue of Amida Buddha resides and many temples. I think I like the place. There's a beautiful beach where many tourists go as well. I think those would be my two choices for places to be stationed in if I were to be picked for the program, but there's also a place called Ichikawa-shi which borders Tokyo. Maybe I'll pick these two areas and see if I can get one, and take a train up to Tokyo on the weekends.

In other future events, I plan to study abroad in Shanghai in January 2010 for a few weeks studying the art and culture of this city. I'm really excited about doing it. I think it would prepare me for an extended time abroad I believe. If I get accepted to the JET Programme, more than likely I'll leave by July-August of 2011. It makes me nervous and excited. Things I'm doing to prepare myself: Taking Japanese starting in the spring up until I graduate and for the Shanghai trip, taking Eastern Humanities, a prereq for the Shanghai trip. Other than that, I need to start working on my passport. I'm also in the process of moving. I should have a new place by the end of August, and it's like everything is happening so fast! Full steam ahead from now on.

No comments: