Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Broken Vases

For you my star crossed lover

I remember when my cousin got her first ceramic's set. She would use the dull colored clay and with her little hands, mold it in to a desired shape, and the shape slowly turned in to a vase. She decorated it with fake emeralds and sapphires that sparkled in the light. I remember her being very proud of her original creation and filling it with a few flowers from her aunt's garden, they were simple flowers. Lately I've been wondering what happened to that vase that she worked so hard to create. The time she put into it, it must still be with her. Did she simply outgrow it and throw it away, like so many hand made crafts are after childhood, or did it break and those simple flowers from her aunt's garden lay abandoned among the broken pieces?
As an afterthought, I began thinking on that long El' ride on the subway, what had happened to my vase. The one I put all of my love and attention into, the one that took me years to build and in a fourth of the time, to break. I loved that vase with all of my heart. I poured everything, all of my feelings, my secrets. Where did it all go wrong?

No comments: