Friday, August 17, 2007

Theatre and City Lights

These last two days were one of the most memorable this year. I had orientation at my school. The last orientation I would have there before graduating. I wasn't excited, but dreaded it. My best friend Chyna decided to come with me and we hung out around the school, and everyone kept asking me, is she new here? My friend is beautiful in this off beat sort of way and it always gets the attention of those around her. When Robert, Chyna, and me were at the train station these group of guys went up the stairs and were staring and tried to talk to us. I hate that more than anything, when a guy does that, makes me feel like a piece of meat. Robert screamed up to them "She's not available". I found that very funny.
At practice we were on top of things, we worked our asses off until we were tired as hell, and then we sat around for the show. Robert was getting nervous and I got more excited as time went on. The play was just so damn beautiful...We staged a die in to show how things were in the 80s during the AIDS out break, and the dancing, and the HIV stories...we got a standing ovation. Then our director came up to us and said, "You're the best cast we've ever had, and you don't know how much you've changed my life with your performances." And other people kept coming up to us and saying how great we did. My head started to swell, but then I got all modest. I was like, "it's nothing"...

The next day we got back there to practice for another show, and this one had to be better than the last. Since the first one was the rougher version and this show had to be more polished. So our director cut some scenes...shorted some lines, and one of my friends(poor guy) was forced to memorize five index cards that had a shit load of writing on them by the time of the show. I thought practice was horrible..we couldn't concentrate, and we kept laughing at about everything. One good thing happened though. Since Tuesday me and this girl named Bre have been around each other. She's spontaneous and very affectionate. Everytime she put her hands around me, I thought I'd just die, and it helps that she can sing, which she did to me a couple of times. Before the show began that night, she lifted up my chin and kissed me behind those black curtains and blue dimmed lights. Ah..just thinking about it, gives me chills. So we were on again, and this time, about ten of my friends came to see me. So it was a bit harder for me to concentrate, but I did. Once again standing ovation, and then me and friends went on a night out on the town.

Now usually this would evoke a sense that we went to a party and got drunk and hooked up with someone, but it was the complete opposite. We were like little kids. We walked around at night, and past clubs, and went to the park on the north side with big cherry and blueberry flavored slushies. We ran around the park, got on swings, and tried our luck at the monkey bars. This is very weird seeing that we're ranging from ages 17-20. My friend Chyna's a fiesty one and she almost got into a fight with a lady in her apartment, because she told us to get the fuck away from her window. Walking down Halsted, the gayest street in Chicago, past rainbow flags and M-to-F transsexuals with slinky red and black dresses on, we went at got icecream from Baskin Robbins. It was so good, the caramel and the cookie dough ice cream melted in my mouth. We attempted to go to the arcade, but none of us had ID to prove that we were not underage..which is stupid, because I believe we look it. Oh well..

So all of us got on the train and talked about music. Robert and Chyna got off on the stop before me and my friend Josh. Josh decided to take me home. It was ten minutes til two before we got there, and we talked about past lovers, our interest, finding it hard to get a lover who wants to talk about art and music, things we loved. I always thought Josh was a bit too cool to hang out with me, since I first met him my freshman year. He was this black rocker type, easy going attitute, knew how to play the guitar and was in a band, and a damn good artist. He was so good in fact that he got a full ride to the Art Institute of Chicago. We talked about going skateboarding Sunday and swapping music. Overall these two days were pretty great, today is one of those lie around and gather my bearings before I have to go do other things like meditation classes tomorrow.

No comments: